Having an exposed nerve can lead to severe tooth painand discomforts. This dental problem is very common, it usually occur when the tooth structure is damaged. Naturally, the tooth nerves are found right at the core of the tooth. They are overly protected by different layers of the teeth. In most cases, the tooth can get damaged leaving the nerve endings exposed. Certain dental problems such as tooth decay, tooth fracture, extreme enamel erosion, damaged filling, crown fallout and cavities can all result to exposed tooth nerve.
Whatever the cause may be, exposed nerves can lead to severe tooth pain and extreme tooth sensitivityto hot and cold drinks or food. The pain and discomforts could be life-threatening if the problem is left untreated. The best thing to do if you tooth nerve is exposed is to see a dental professional for immediate treatments. Without proper treatments you could get infected, who knows, you may even loose all your teeth if the infection spreads to the surrounding body tissues, bones and teeth.
However, while waiting for the appointment day, there are numerous home remedies to kill exposed nerve in tooth that you can try. These home remedies are safe and effective, they can give you quick relief from the pain and discomforts. But in the meantime, try as much as possible to avoid those things that aggravates the pain. Avoid foods and drinks of extreme temperatures (very hot or cold) until it’s safe to take them. Now, let’s look at those homes remedies, I will also show you how to prepare each of the remedies yourself at home. Although, most of these remedies may take longer than 5 minutes to work, but they are still very effective.
Table of Contents
Home Remedies To Kill Exposed Nerve In Tooth
1. Saltwater Rinse: rinsing your mouth with warm saltwater can give you a quick relief from an extreme exposed nerve tooth pain. Naturally, salt contains a strong anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial which makes it ideal for fighting oral germs and pain. (1) The warm saltwater will relieve the pain by killing the nerves as well as the bacteria that are causing problems in your exposed nerve.
Application – prepared a warm solution by diluting half teaspoon of salt in a small glass of warm water. Make sure that the solute dissolved properly, then use the solution to swish around your mouth for about 3 minutes. Remember, do not swallow, spit the solution out after each rinse. You can reapply as many times as necessary.
2. Clove Oil: for centuries, clove oil is widely used as a traditional medicine to cure toothacheand oral infections. The oil contains a chemical compound know as eugenol. The presence of eugenol makes the oil very effective for reducing pain and infections. The oil can be used to anesthetize the exposed tooth nerve as well as kill bacteria that cause infection.
Application – get some pure clove oil and cotton balls. Add some few drops of clove oil into a cotton ball and place the ball directly on the affected tooth. The oil will provide an instant pain relieve effects, due to its strong numbing ability. Don’t pour the oil directly on the affected tooth, use the cotton balls to apply it.
3. Vinegar: application of vinegar will help to kill the exposed nerve and reduce the amount of pain and discomforts. Just like the clove oil, vinegar acts as a natural astringent with an additional antioxidant and antibacterial properties. All these properties makes vinegar ideal for reducing bleeding, oral germs and dental pain.
Application – Soak a cotton ball in some vinegar and place the ball directly on the exposed nerve for about 3 minutes or more. You can repeat the application several times every day.
4. Turmeric: turmeric is used widely all over the world as a spice, but most people are unaware of it numerous health benefits. Just like most other remedies that I have mentioned already in this page, turmeric can act as an antibiotic and antiseptic. According to studies, it has been proved that turmeric contains excellent anti-inflammatory, analgesic and antibacterial properties which can help to reduce pain and inflammation. You can sprinkle some turmeric powder directly on your exposed nerve, it will help to reduce the pain and Inflammation if there is any.
Application – make a paste by mixing turmeric powder and a small amount of water. Apply the paste directly on the affected area. Alternatively, you can sprinkle some turmeric powder over the exposed nerve and allow it to sit for about 5 minutes, wash it off with water after.
5. Garlic: garlic contains numerous medicinal components such as glucose, allin and phytonite. Most of the antibiotic substances contained in garlic, promotes blood circulation and defenses against infection-causing bacteria and viruses. Due to the numerous benefitial contents of garlic, it exhibits an excellent analgesic, antibacterial, antiseptic, and anti-nflammatory properties. (2) These properties can help to reduce pain and discomforts caused by exposed tooth nerve as well as fight infections.
Application – crush some fresh garlic and extract the juice. Rub the garlic juice on the exposed nerve and on the surrounding body tissues. In order to make the garlic juice to be more effective. You can add a pinch of salt to the juice and apply the paste directly on the exposed nerve.
6. Sesame Oil: the sesame oil is an ancient remedy that has been used for centuries for treating different types of dental problems. The oil has numerous medicinal properties which can help to fight infections and discomforts caused by an exposed nerve. When using a sesame oil, you should be careful not to swallow it. The oil is likely to contain poisonous substances that were removed from your oral cavity during the application.
Application – the application of sesame oil pulling is a popular practices in Ayurveda, I will show you how its done. It is believed that sesame oil pulling works more effectively in the morning. So, measure out a tablespoon of sesame oil and pour it into your mouth. Remember, do not swallow. Allow the oil to stay in your mouth and circulate to every part your mouth for some few minutes. Ensure to swish the oil around the exposed nerve.
Exposed tooth nerves can result to severe tooth painand sensitivity which can be too intense for anyone to handle. The first step you should take if your tooth nerve is exposed is to consult a dentist. If the exposure is left untreated it can get worse and even develop into a more serious health problem.
Well, there are lots of home remedies to kill exposed nerve in tooth, the ones that I mentioned in this article are the most popular and effective. However, these remedies may give you a temporary relief from severe pain and help reduce the infections. You should see a dentist soon for long lasting relief and treatments.
Richard Smith is a Registered Nutritionist and also a Health Speaker. Richard Smith graduated from The City University of New York. You can learn more about him by Visiting His LinkedIn Page or Follow him on Twitter.
Note: All links leading to our recommended products are all verified to be the products’ official website, so as to ensure you get the original product at no additional cost to you.